Friday, September 24, 2010

Aussie Rules Television

If there was a television show with an Australian surrounded by Americans, would the world end? Would our minds be blown? That must be the case, because everytime an Australian actor does an American television show, that actor uses an American accent.

Would it really change the story if Simon Baker was Australian, in any of the many TV shows he has been in, including the phenomenal The Mentalist?

What if Alex O'Loughlin was an Australian working with Hawaiian police in Hawaii in Hawaii-50? Would we turn away from the show? Do we hate Australians? I didn't get that memo.

While we're on the subject, why is CBS so obsessed with Alex O'Loughlin? I watched Hawaii-50, and I enjoyed it. I will continue to watch it. But I don't really see what is so great about Alex O'Loughlin. Sure, I can admit he's a good looking guy, but the show is good primarily because of Scott Caan. Caan is absolutely hilarious - steals every scene. O'Loughlin is ok, but you could replace him with any number of actors and the show would be the same. Take away Caan, and the show is not nearly as good.

Plus, the only reason I wanted to watch the show in the first place was because of Daniel Dae Kim. I wonder when Sun is going to re-join him on the island?

I'm getting sidetracked - the point is, what would be the problem with having an Australian actor use an Australian accent while in an American television show? Does Hollywood believe that there are no Australians in America, working and living while still talking about putting their shrimps on the barbi? I'll admit, I don't hear the Australian accent every day, but I would assume there are some Aussies here in the States.

I just think there is a major anti-Australian attidude in Hollywood, and it has to end. The only time Hugh Jackman ever was able to use his real accent was when he was in the movie Australia. But fellow Aussie Nicole Kidman had to use a British accent. In a movie about Australia, called Australia, an Australian had to use a British accent.

Hollywood, that's just hurtful. Crocodile Dundee did not show us what a real knife is so that we could turn around and use that knife to cut his accent away from him.

Although, Mel Gibson is Australian. He hates Hollywood. Even badmouthed Hollywood a bit. Then he badmouthed every race and religion he could. Maybe Hollywood is taking its revenge on all Australians. Isn't the fact that Gibson's career is over enough?

2 comments:

treezacarr said...

I'm an Aussie and I get your drift.There's nothing wrong with our accent so whats the big deal. Oh and BTW I think Mel Gibson is American. I think his family migrated here when he was very young. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for H5O I wasn't too impressed with it and I'm a huge Alex O'Loughlan fan. I think I will have to give it a few more episodes before I decide whether I will continue watching.

Trevor R-L said...

You're right, Gibson is American - but also Australian. He was born in New York to an American father (whose mother was Australian) and an Australian mother. Then his family moved to Australia when he was 12, so he attended high school and college in Australia and got his acting start there. So I guess we can call him Amralian. Or Ausmerican.