Monday, November 2, 2015

Gators 27, Georgia 3 - My Two Bits

For the record, I like Mark Richt. Always have, and I'm not sure why. I mean, he was an assistant coach at FSU before getting the Georgia job, for crying out loud. But for whatever reason, I've always been a fan of his.

That said, 27-3 was pretty damn sweet. Especially since, offensively at least, the Gators did not look great. Defensively...wow. My parents and I agreed after the game that although it didn't look pretty, it was fun to watch.

My Two Bits
Quoth The Raven
This Gators team, especially with Treon Harris at QB, reminds me of the Trent Dilfer-led Super Bowl winning Baltimore Ravens. That team had a phenomenal defense and an offense that wasn't pretty but was effective. This Gators squad has a phenomenal defense, and at least on Saturday, an offense that primarily used what the defense gave it to do its job. Florida scored 20 of its 27 points off of turnovers, including a muffed punt returned for a TD and touchdowns after interceptions by VGIII and Keanu Neal. But the offense was effective, getting into the endzone after those turnovers, along with a five-play, 79-yard drive (66 of which was taken up by Antonio Callaway's touchdown pass from Harris). On paper at least, they have three games against lesser opponents to get read for what should be a doozy on Nov. 28.

Nevermore, Mark Richt
As much as I hate to say it, because I do like the guy, but my guess is his time has probably come as head coach of the Bulldogs. His teams have been consistently solid, with a few really good seasons sprinkled in, but no national championships and only two SEC Championships (and none since 2005). Plus, he's 5-10 vs. the Gators, and that HAS to bother the rank and file Georgia fans. I don't know how I would feel if he were my coach. My guess is that I would defend him against all criticism. Heck, I was (and still am) a fan of Will Muschamp, who didn't have NEARLY the success that Richt has had at Georgia. Maybe former Gators QB and current Georgia OC Brian Schottenheimer will become the next head coach, filling the space left by his former coach at Florida, the former Gators QB and current former South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier!

No comments: